1) You are facing an epic journey. You may choose one companion, one tool and one vehicle from any book or film to accompany you. Or just one of the three. It’s up to you. What do you choose?
Well that’s easy. Rudi’s horse Epona from S.M Stirling’s Novels of the Change, with The Orb from the Belgariad and Tyler Durden.
2) You can escape to the insides of any book. Where do you go, and why?
Octavia Butler’s Lilith’s Brood trilogy. The idea of woman being able to change, for the better, however different it makes her, intrigues me, as does the potential for change. And space. The chance to capture space, the newness….
3) You can bring one literary character into your current life. Who do you choose, and why?
Leah from The Red Tent. I could use a little blunt strength once in awhile.
4) The Belgariad and Mallorean are my go-to books. I could read those books fifty-seven times in a row without a break for food or a pee and not be remotely bored. In fact I’ve already done that but it wasn’t fifty-seven times. It was sixty-four hundred. (I love the entire series. Easy to read, familiar characters…)
5) Of all the literary or film characters that made an impression on you as a kid, who was the most enviable?
Jacob Two Two.
6) Of all the literary or film characters that made an impression on you as a kid, who was the most frightening?
Darth Vader. I was TERRIFIED he was hiding in the hallway to my parents room. The hallway I had to walk past every day.
7) Every time I read The Fire Dwellers, I see something in it that I haven’t seen before.
8) It is imperative that Magician be made into a movie. Now. I am already picketing Hollywood for this—but if they cast Dominic West as Pug, I will not be happy. I will, however, be appeased if they cast Laurent Lucas.
9) The 25th Hour is a book that should never be made (or should have never been made) into a film. (I love you Ed, but the movie just…I dunno…)
10) After all these years, the Drano scene in the book/movie Heathers still manages to give me the queebs.
11) After all these years, the scene where Samantha Mathis takes off her shirt in the book/movie Pump up the Volume still manages to give me a thrill.
12) If I could corner the author of After You, here’s what I’d say to them one minute or less about their book, WHY!!!! WHY JULIE WHY!?!?! That ending…WHY?!?!?!:
13) The coolest non-fiction book I’ve ever read is Cosmos. Every time I flip through it, it makes me want to explore, see the world, honor the world around me.