Seeing as I’m hard pressed to write about anything today, despite desire to do so, when this meme at Kelly’s caught my eye, I thought “Why the hell not?”
Yeah. Writers cramp or something I dunno….
7 things about me in high school. (drum roll)
- I was numerous people in high school. Srsly. I moved around through high school, attending three schools, two of them twice. I started out in my small catholic one a “niner”, bullied, kinda weird/kinda geeky. Just, you know, in high school. Moved to a small mining town on Lake Superior. Was THE weird girl. Avoided a few fights. Started smoking weed in earnest. Managed to get “asked” the leave. Moved to mid-size city in Southern Ontario on my own at 16. Blur of LSD-I had a large assembly of acquaintances, a few good friends. Still weird. Moved back to home town and returned to small catholic school where I was “weird girl who’s done stuff”. Never popular, but the other weird kids knew who I was. As I was almost 5’9 and wore army boots with short skirts, people more than not thought I was going to eat them.
- I managed to do a LOT of drugs. And still pulled off A’s in some classes. School was never terribly difficult for me. Except for Chemistry, which I only took for interest and because I needed a credit, so the teacher passed me.
- Didn’t go to prom. Went to my grad. It sucked, full off too many things my mother wasn’t there for. I spent the night of prom smoking weed in a park with my oldest friend. Much more fun.
- I loved writing essays. Seriously. It took me forever to get into the groove with the damn things, but I was writing 5-7k essays in one evening and getting A’s on them. Once I had my thoughts lined up, BAM! I’d head to a friend’s house to use the computer and I’d get it done. I still have many of these BS essays somewhere.
- I was a drama kid. I’ve sung on stage in Hebrew, I’ve been a bird (good lord don’t ask) and a bunch of stuff I can’t even remember (But sadly, seeing Allison’s blood stained panties when she was sitting like a boy with a skirt on? THAT image, from like 1993 will NEVER leave my memory.)
- I actually used the “it’s not you, it’s me” line on a boy. When secretly, it was that he was fat. He was the nicest, gentlest, sweetest guy, but dude was as big as a house, and I just don’t dig that. So I guess in a way it WAS me anyway….
- I did my major project in Grade 13 on the sexual behaviour of my fellow students. At a catholic school who wouldn’t allow condom machines in the bathroom despite multiple pregnancies. Most teachers I spoke too seemed impressed with the set of balls I had, but nothing bad happened. Sadly, I didn’t keep this one.
I wasn’t popular at any point, but I guess I had a mythos that followed me around. I remember being bullied by MISSY POULIN, who said I looked like a boy. While she had a mullet and looked more butch than an autoworker…..other than that, my size and attitude usually kept me out of shit.
What about you? Who were you?