9 Nov


Originally uploaded by Rebecca…

Oh the sheer joy that is an ER on a Saturday night.

  • 30.00 on cabs. Sigh.


  • 2 clicky-clacky sweet high heel girls, fresh from the bars and stinking to high heaven in their slutty 80’s fashions, giant sac purses and more hairspray than I’ve seen since 1987. You can cover a lot of things up, but ugly is still ugly.


  • The larger(er), slightly trailer park slow couple next to me. The woman devoured 3 in short time, driving me absolutely BAT.SHIT.INSANE. but ripping off little pieces and them making this “smacksmacksmack” sound as she chewed with an open maw. This annoyance was tempered by the fact that my cell phone battery dying sound made them think their fully charged phones were broken somehow. (This isn’t fat hate. This is slobbish, no manners hate. And pants pulled up too high hate.)


  • The poor 10 year old boy, rushed in by his father, arms wrapped tightly around his neck, moaning, nearly screaming when his father put him down. I can imagine why the mother didn’t take him in-I was nearly crying.


  • The sheer number of people who sat behind me and thought that I was part of the chair. IF IT IS SQUISHY AND WARM AND MAKING MARGE SIMPSON SOUNDS, IT IS NOT THE CHAIR.


  • And fucking hell people, quit smoking already! You reek! You’re horribly horribly ill, but you will drag your flannel pant clad ass back outside to suck back more stink.


  • I’m beginning to think the wait is in place to deter people like the woman who came in with her (freaking adorable) daughter, saying to her husband that she “just wanted to check if she had a fever since they don’t own a thermometer.” Yes that is a quote verbatim. Yes, I bit my tongue.


  • My most fun activity in the ER is waiting for the inevitable whining about the, you guessed it, wait. Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only person who understands what “triage” means. It’s horrible to have to wait behind people with broken limbs, possible life threatening issues, while you have the flu. I mean, it’s terrible. And Honey, if you really did wait 24 hours, you have a LOT more time on your hands than I do, and you’re supposed to get the hint. Anymore, my limit is around 4 hours when it’s not truly a dire emergency.


  • Note to hospital-when you change your intake process, make it clearer. Every single person, myself included, got all messed up. Two small signs would have worked. It’s all fine and well to say you have to see the triage nurse before registering on the way in, but if no one understands your seating process, chaos ensues. Which is admittedly, fun to watch.


We’re lucky-this is only her second ear infection, and it really wasn’t that bad. The horrid mother in me wondered if she was faking since she was acting FINE at the hospital-until it occurred to be that the Advil likely kicked in. While we waited around 3 hours, things went super fly once in the non-acute area and the doctor was totally awesome with both of us. 10 minutes later, we were out into the misty rain once more.

She was quite the trooper for it being nearly midnight. Evidently, I’m more tired than she is this morning too.

What’s your best ER story? Longest wait?

14 Responses to “Waiting”

  1. Marcy November 9, 2008 at 10:23 am #

    I’ve only been in the ER a few times.

    First time: I was having an allergic reaction to an antibiotic — they gave me demerol for the pain, and I promptly had an allergic reaction to that, too.

    Second and third times: PPD. The psych admitter was only nice for a few minutes — as soon as she realized I really intended to be admitted, she treated me like dirt — child-abandoning selfish brat dirt.

    Fourth: Nasty panic attack with full rage and depression, simultaneously. Insurance refused to cover — anxiety is apparently not an urgent situation — I should have gone to the urgent care center (which is not open at midnight) or made a doctor’s appointment. Yeah.

  2. nessa November 9, 2008 at 10:24 am #

    “The poor 10 year old boy, rushed in by his father, arms wrapped tightly around his neck, moaning, nearly screaming when his father put him down. I can imagine why the mother didn’t take him in-I was nearly crying.”

    Cuz she had little kids at home? Just sayin’. When something happens to the older kids, John is the one to take them in and I stay home with the babies. Luckily we haven’t had to utilize the emergency room much. Just over New Years last year when the girls’ fever spiked and it turned out that they had pneumonia.

    When Ava was a baby, she had this horrible mystery virus and she ended up getting reeaaaally dehydrated from the diarrhea. I had to take her to the ER at 10 pm (John was working midnights at that time) and I had the excruciating experience of holding her down while they put an IV into her teeny tiny body. She had to stay in the hospital for 3 days while they pumped fluids into her. I can’t imagine how people with babies in the NICU deal with that for weeks. I thought I was going to go crazy.

  3. thordora November 9, 2008 at 10:42 am #

    Oh-I didn’t mean that judgy-I just know that when Vivian had a seizure years back, I made him take her-I couldn’t do it and be rational. My heart seized up into my throat seeing the poor little guy.

    I’ve been lucky Marcy-anytime I’ve gone in for Psych stuff, they’ve been nothing but awesome. You should move to Canada.:)

  4. Cerra November 9, 2008 at 11:05 am #

    I waited six hours to be seen with bleeding at 18 weeks pregnant, then discharged after an abdominal feel and the great advice, “These things happen – it’s unavoidable.” Five months later Clive was born.

  5. March November 9, 2008 at 1:44 pm #

    the worst ER trip was when Morgan was bit by a friend’s dog in Japan, back in June… it was scary… she was a trooper, and we all were impressed that she collected herself enough to let the doctor put the stitches in her face without complete meltdown. she needed 10 stitches on her face. it was a long long day, thankfully the ER was empty (Navy hospital inside a closed base, so it’s not uncommon) and all the corpsman were playing with Mackenzie keeping him entertained while I stayed with Morgan every single minute. of course hubs was deployed, it’s a rule of thumb that they will never be there for ER trips.

    we’ve had three more ER visits with Morgan and two with Mackenzie, but that one tops them all.

    I’m glad she’s doing better today, ER trips are draining.

  6. misspudding November 9, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

    My favorite ER visit of all time wasn’t for me.

    My sister and I were visiting my parents when they lived in Jackson, Mississippi (that is a story in and of itself…luckily only three years). It was Christmastime and we decided to make a day trip to New Orleans (only a few hours away by car).

    We got to the French Quarter around 9:30 in the morning, pulled into a parking lot that looked like it was in a decent area, and my sister promptly slammed her finger/hand in the car door.

    We went to the Tulane University ER (the same hospital that had big time issues during Hurricane Katrina) because it was close. That was our first time going to an ER in a major inner city with significant impoverished population. Very sad. About three dozen uninsured black families. Doctors who were very blase about the whole thing because it was normal. My sister was one of two or three actual trauma/injury patients.

    After 5.5 hours in the waiting room, my father walked down the street and found an urgent care facility, where people with insurance can go and get seen (a walk-in facility, bascially) for more urgent matters. They saw her in 15 minutes. Told her since they’d waited that long, there was really nothing they could do except give her some bandages and tylenol, as the Xrays showed nothing broken.

    We stayed for dinner in the French Quarter and then drove home. Thank goodness for really, really awesome Cajun food.

    Moral of the story, if you live in the U.S. and don’t have insurance, life sucks.

  7. Bon November 9, 2008 at 9:38 pm #

    man, the picture you painted was as good as an episode of ER.

    our ER visits have mostly been for O’s asthma…it’s weird, cause under 18 months and a kid having a hard time and you’re like royalty, whisked through, but once he got close to 2 i guess we lost the golden ticket and started having to wait in the regular line. which is okay unless you show up at change of shift time when they take a freaking hour to even get organized to do triage and by the time you get in your poor baby has O2 sats of 86. bah.

    but the people watching is always cool, if you’re not, you know, losing your shit b/c your kid can’t breathe.

  8. Bon November 9, 2008 at 9:39 pm #

    btw i clicked the necrotic wound link. gorgeous. oy.

  9. Marcy November 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm #

    Once I actually got in the psych ward things went pretty well — it was just that nasty admitter. Why they chose her for that job, I don’t know. And the panic attack one, the doctor I saw was very nice — just the insurance people were screwy.

  10. bromac November 10, 2008 at 10:25 am #

    My daughter was less than 6 months old and went from no fever to 105 in several hours. We couldn’t get her cool and didn’t know why she was so sick, as she wasn’t complaining of anything prior to the fever. The triage nurse at the hospital was a complete bitch!

    She immediately judged me as one of those parents who, with their first, is a little jumpy, and did not need to be there. She was so completely rude and literally asked me why I brought my child in. She chastised me and made me feel like an idiot. She refused to believe my child’s fever was in the emergency range. She asked when I started medicine and I told her 6am. She looked at me and said “you haven’t given her medicine since 6am and you wonder why she has a fever”. I lost it. I said “no, you fucking bitch, i’ve been alternating ibuprofin and acetamenaphine every two hours, now take her fucking temp and get us some medicine.” My husband then pushed me out of the room.

    The bitch FINALLY took a rectal temp and FINALLY jumped into gear when she saw how high the temp was, and got us a tylenol suppository.

  11. crazymumma November 10, 2008 at 1:00 pm #

    The sound of eating makes me crazy as well.

    I am glad all is well with her ear.

  12. iamsunshine033 November 11, 2008 at 9:23 pm #

    I’ve had my share of ER experiences, the most memorable being spending Christmas Eve stretched out across four extremely germy chairs, while my sisters, dad and I rotated visiting my mom until the nurses felt bad and sneaked us all back at once. This just so happened to be 2 years ago and the last Christmas before she died. So yea, I totally relate to all of your bulleted ER badness. Ugh.

    Also, thanks for writing with no filter. It’s amazing. Amazing is such a plain word, but that’s what it is.

  13. allyo November 12, 2008 at 12:59 pm #

    Children’s Hospital. Croup when Jamie was a few months old. The doctor (over the phone) said, pack a sandwich, you’ll be there awhile. SIX HOURS LATER we left, oral steroids popped in his mouth neatly and quickly around my boob. Thank god we were breastfeeding because I was completely unprepared for just how long it would take. And as he is our one and only, my husband was there as well. I would have gone stark raving mad alone.

  14. Krista November 12, 2008 at 8:46 pm #

    Lets see…………You know about Travis so you really don’t want me to play 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: